1. SLOW, DULL, LOW-ENERGY SHOW. Last year's show was filled with verve and innovation, such as having five high-voltage previous winners pay tribute to each of the acting nominees. This year, they copied that only with the lead performers, not the supporting actors. Everything seemed to take forever.
2. WHERE'S THE LOVE FOR THE HONORARY WINNERS? How nice it would have been to have a tribute to the iconic Lauren Bacall and the legendary schlockmeister, Roger Corman? Instead, their awards were given in December, and they merely stood in the audience tonight. What a waste of wattage from genuine stars.
3. GOOD HOSTS GONE BAD. I certainly would not want to follow last year's host, Hugh Jackman. But the producers did no favors to this year's estimable and talented hosts, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin. They were hardly on the screen, far less than they deserved, given how they sparkled in the few times they appeared. Such a shame. Thank goodness that they knew how to take full advantage of show-stopping show opener Neil Patrick Harris. What a terrific performance.
4. WHERE'S THE LOVE FOR THE NOMINATED SONGS? Miley Cyrus announced that this year's Academy Awards marked the 75th anniversary of the "Best Song" category. So they marked it by playing portions of each nominated song in clips from the films. Nice tribute to movie songs in its diamond anniversary. Co-winner T-Bone Walker didn't even care enough to give an acceptance speech. I can't say I blame him.
5. HARDLY A TRIBUTE TO THE TECHNICAL CAPABILITIES OF TELEVISION. The sound dipped noticeably at key moments of the show. Lights wiped out some of the clothing of the stars. There was noise in the background. Obviously television professionals don't care about the movies' biggest night... at least not tonight.
Congrats to the deserving movie makers who walked away with awards. For the rest of us who had to slog through the winners' biggest nights of their career, well, there's always next year.
Knowing good grammar is a social skill - My friend is staying at my apartment while he job hunts in Boston. My job hunts were always done in pajamas with a jeans-and-T-shirt interview finale. Mica...
1 day ago