Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Book, My Calling Card

As I gear up for my speaking career, I am working on something that I have come to believe is important: a book. My friend Courtney Ragonesi, founder of The Illustrious Group, tells me that it is my "calling card" as a speaker. Makes sense to me.

I am writing a self-help book that is relevant to our society. (Forgive me if I don't divulge the topic. I must have some privacy.) Another friend, nationally known speaker Shawn Doyle, advises me that 25,000 words is "about right." So I am spending every moment I can on it. Problem is, that's not much time. My schedule gets in the way. I try to exercise every morning due to a chronic health issue, work at my
full-time job, come home and spend time with my wife (kids are grown), and then I write. But if I must do something necessary and mundane, such as balance the checkbook or call my mother, that's more time lost. So it looks like I'll be taking an occasional Friday off this summer and going on a book bender for three days, pounding out the words. I think it's doable. I'm surprised at the number of people I meet who have books out, almost the same number of people who seem to have their own talk show. But, boy, it's tough. Still, when I get a head of steam, I can get the words flowing. (We'll see how much I've accomplished after I edit it! Or after someone else does.)

I about a quarter of the way through. I'll keep you posted. One thing I am pretty curious about is the publisher versus self-publishing route. I am leaning toward self-publishing, as that will help me control the product and keep more money. But I must admit that I could enjoy the validation and prestige of having a publisher. That could mean lunches at the finest NY restaurants, book tours, maybe a spot on Oprah.

Let me reconsider that self-publishing thing.
In the meantime, if you have any ideas, please let me know. As with all things blog-gy, I will keep you informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment