Monday, January 26, 2009

Communication as My Calling?

I have just returned from a weekend religious retreat (Catholic), which is often a great way for me to start a year. The priest who ran the discussions talked about how a relationship with Jesus Christ can help you be who you truly are. My readers can insert the names of their own Supreme Beings in there as you wish, but the point remains the same: Introspection and reflection, such as that found in the truly great religions, should lead you to self-actualization.
I had another sign. I went to confession to reconcile my frustration with many people who work throughout my company. Simply put, they foul up their communications, such as ads and meetings, and I pull their rear ends from the fire. Yet, my job is more uncertain than theirs are, based on where they work. I asked the priest how to handle my own anger at this injustice.
His first advice was that I shouldn't be too hard on myself, that this frustration and aggravation was part of human nature. He advised me to see Christ in the people with whom I am dealing and treat them appropriately. However, the next statement took me by surprise:
"Don't be disturbed by this turn of events. God has something in store for you."
He did not seem to be offering me a bromide, such as "When God closes a door, he opens a window," or pap like that. He really seemed to have a knowing insight into my situation. This was particularly interesting because I am at a crossroad in my own career. My current job is in jeopardy, mostly due to reorganization and refocusing of the company's goals. My time in this position may be finite, and I have to ask if there is a place for me in this particular corporate communications department. But there is a more pertinent question: Do I want there to be a place for me in corporate communications?
As I prepare my book, "The Six P's of Change," for publication, I find there is a great deal of interest in it. It is certainly a timely topic. My speeches and workshops on it are greeted enthusiastically, so I seem to be communicating it well. Is this my true profession? And given the transitions I have faced in my career, am I now fully prepared to make those experiences meaningful to others and teach them?
Is this my one true calling, the work that my life has been a preparation for? Stay tuned; I think we will see this unfold. In the meantime, I look forward to your own comments on finding your calling.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Uncle Pat, where was your retreat? I think Christine's dad went to something like that this past weekend. It was an all male retreat in Malvern. I wonder if you were at the same one. Let me know.
    Weathermanpjt@aol.com

    ReplyDelete