Monday, May 18, 2009

Win or Lose the Contest? I PICK"WIN!"

Over the weekend, I participated in the International Speech competition of Toastmasters District 38, which covers parts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I had lots of moral support from fellow members throughout the District, and many people let me practice at their clubs, for which I am extremely grateful. In the end, I did not win. I'm okay with that, because the person who did win really deserved it. His speech had a good message on inspiration that he delivered with imagination and energy. He has all my best wishes as he moves to the next round.
I also did not come in second or third, either. That surprised me more than it disappointed or bothered me. My own personal feelings about those speeches were obviously different from the judges', but such is the subjective practice of judging. (Think of ice skating at the Olympics. It's easy for us to identify the fastest and strongest athletes, but judges tell us who the best skaters and gymnasts are.)
I like to compete. Part of my narcissistic side would like to be the World Champion of Public Speaking. However, my attitude about competing has softened over time. I was inspired years ago by previous Toastmaster World Champ Ed Tate, who has a special prayer before every speech: He asks that someone in his audience be affected by the speech that he gives, regardless of the outcome of the competition. I've gotten into the habit of reciting that prayer myself, and it reflects how I feel about this particular speech.
It is about how my wife, Marie, overheard me singing one day and told me that I should pursue it as a hobby. I didn't believe I could sing because I was surrounded by people who told me I couldn't sing. Still, I listened to her. As a result, I sing actively as an avocation, and I have sung at baseball games, on CDs of a cappella music, even at Carnegie Hall.
However, what Marie taught me was to listen to other people and hear their inner hopes as she heard mine. At one point of the speech, I recounted how I showed my appreciation for her by surprising the guests at our 25th anniversary party with the song "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?" At that point in the speech, as I sang just one stanza, a palpable sigh went through the audience. I also told them what the words taught me. One woman even nodded in recognition, and I could see her mouthing the lyrics with me
At the end of the contest, once the winners were announced (again, NOT INCLUDING ME! ;-) ), the Toastmasters filed out of the room. One woman who had been Sergeant-at-Arms came to me with mock anger, glared and said, "You almost made me cry!"
"Really," I said. "Was my singing that bad?"
"No, it was when you sang to your wife."
Then a man who had heard me at the previous level of competition and had given me advice met me outside the room. I thanked him for his input. At that point, his eyes glistened, and he said, "Even though I had heard the speech before, it got to me this time." He couldn't explain why. Apparently his advice improved my speech for him.
The district governor came to me and said, "Did you see me crying?" A trend was developing.
Another woman told me she was going to Italy, and wanted to know if I could help her with some phrases. As I jotted down my email for her, she said softly, "You really moved me when you sang for your wife." As I looked up, her eyes were wet, and she could not continue speaking. She dropped the discussion. I touched her face, and I thanked her.

As I got a drink to unwind, I saw the woman who had sung along with me. I sat next to her and thanked her for her visual feedback and support. "Oh, I think that it's important to show a speaker that you are enjoying the speech." And without provocation, she launched into her own story... how she was in an abusive marriage for 14 years... how she feared getting out of it because she wasn't sure how she could support her children... how her husband was a pastor, and no one would have believed was he was doing to her... how she covered the bruises on her face with makeup... the day a woman in her congregation said to her, "My Sister, you are smiling and happy all the time, but your smile is plastic. What's wrong?" And with that, my friend burst into tears to that woman, and on that day she began to find the strength to end the marriage and treat herself righteously.
And she shared that with me because she saw marital love in my speech.

There is an annual poetry contest in Spain that awards three prizes. The third place winner gets a silver rose. The second place winner gets a gold rose. The top prize is an actual rose. I am happy for the people who won on Saturday. My own shelves at home are already filled with trophies. But I'm very happy for what I got at Saturday's competition. My prayer was answered.

3 comments:

  1. Well said, Pat. Siemens TM is proud of you and glad you have shared your journey with us. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for giving us an insiders view of the contest. You did a lot of work to be able to stand up there, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you, Dad! Now, instead of being International Toastmaster Grand General or whatever the heck it is, maybe you can set a goal to make everyone woman in the world jealous of Mom?

    ReplyDelete