Monday, July 13, 2009

The King is Dead; Long Live Real News!

Be still my beating heart. I turned on my TV today and there was news that did NOT include the late. great Michael Jackson. I am hearing about the efforts of U.S. Congressman Patrick Murphy -- an Iraq war officer and veteran -- to keep gay soldiers in the military. I am hearing about Judge Sotomayor's confirmation. Yes, there is hyperbole there from her Democratic supporters. (Is there a hook we can use just for Sen. Chuck Schumer? Jeez, what a windbag!)
There is also some puffery from the Republicans (Sen. Cronyn from Texas and Chuck Grassley who is "concerned" about her empathy). Lindsay Graham was actually statesmanlike, giving the President his due and allowing that Chief Executive has a right to pick his own justices. (Call me naive, but I think he was sincere.)
Days ago, I complained of a "Gresham's Law" of news, in which Mr. Jackson's untimely death supplanted coverage of other events. Cap and trade, anyone? Did we vote on that? Oh yes, we did,. while cameras were inside the empty Neverland farmhouse.
Did we suffer any losses of soldiers in the last couple of weeks? Yes, although you would never know it.
I am the first to say that I have been a Michael Jackson fan for 40 years, and I think he was a musical visionary. But what passed for "news" in our recent dark days is shameful. We should all be writing to our networks and some print outlets and taking them to task for this.
Not that it would do any good, unfortunately. But maybe it will make us feel better.
Now rest in peace, Michael Jackson.
Please.

1 comment:

  1. Right on target, Pat. When Charles Gibson made Jackson's death the lead story that evening, I e-mailed a complaint about priorities, as you have stated so well here. Not surprisingly, I never got a response. Guess we better brace ourselves if anything happens to Madonna, Angelina Jolie, et al. Again, I agree with your position here entirely, except for being an MJ fan, since I wasn't.

    ReplyDelete