Sunday, April 13, 2008

Professional Speaking Vs. the Toastmasters Model

Yesterday I attended a Toastmaster speech competition. It was part of their International Speech competition - the only series of contests that leads to Toastmasters' World Championship of Public Speaking. (The other categories are humorous speeches, extemporaneous speaking, and speech evaluation, but they are limited to championships of much smaller areas). The speeches were all heartfelt and earnest, varying in quality. The first was about living a life of values versus one of acquisition. There was an evangelical feel to it, evoking a preacherlike tone. The speech reflected the solid and sincere spiritual values of the contestant.

The second speech was titled "Double Dutch Queen," a charming tale of competing for a neighborhood jump rope title. It was an exquisite example of storytelling, though the point was not exactly clear to me.

The third speech was about language and speaking ("the toolbox we have called the English language," said the contestant). The speaker was charming in her smile and rapport with the audience, but she was clearly inexperienced as a writer. The content consisted a lot of cliches I have heard over the last 30 years about double meanings of words. Example: citing how Arnold Palmer had good luck in his competitions because, before each event, his wife would "kiss his balls." The audience was clearly uncomfortable with this phrase.

The last speaker gave a speech titled "On an Ordinary Day." She spoke about accepting new challenges. As part of her speech, she took balls out of a box and attempted to juggle them. When she dropped them, it became a metaphor for trying and failing. But she encouraged the audience to keep a-going, as Henry Gibson sang in "Nashville." She subsequently juggled them successfully. (My synopsis doesn't do this charming speech and speaker justice, but you get the picture.)

First place went to the juggler, with the "Double Dutch Queen" coming in second. However, it caused me to ruminate on Toastmasters versus the world of professional speaking. Would any organization pay to see these speeches? I believe the most marketable was the first speech on values, because its theme was universal, while the others were personal. It led me to further consider: What is the ultimate value of Toastmasters? If this is the level of speaking that we can expect from "championship" events, what does Toastmaster deliver?

An important disclaimer: I am not trashing the organization, as I am an active member. In fact, I have won many local championships myself. (District 38, the segment from which I won four championships, comprises 3,000 members from the New Jersey coast to Western Pennsylvania.) However, as I launched my pro speaking career, I turn to the National Speakers Association for development. I am outpacing Toastmasters.

What do you all think? How relevant is Toastmasters to speakers? Are the exercises worthwhile? Are the members doomed to live in amateur land? Or is Toastmasters the perfect organization for those who want to keep up their speaking skills? I'm interested in your thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. I read your comments with interest when you spoke about observing a Toastmasters speech contest, then wondering about the value of the Toastmasters program for those who might want to become professional speakers. I think you're losing site of the mission of Toastmasters in general. I've printed it below for reference. I've also printed the mission of the National Speakers Association, of which you have become a member. The latter organization distinctly states that their mission is dedicated to professional speaking while the former organization makes no mention of that being part of the mission.


    Mission of a Toastmasters Club (www.toastmasters.org)
    The mission of a Toastmasters club is to provide a mutually supportive and positive learning environment in which every member has the opportunity to develop communication and leadership skills, which in turn foster self-confidence and personal growth.
    Mission of National Speakers Association (www.nsaspeaker.org)
    NSA is dedicated to advancing the art and value of those who speak professionally.

    That's not to say that Toastmasters has not been beneficial to many professional speakers. I might name Darren LaCroix, David Brooks, Ed Tate, Lance Miller … just to name a few! Suffice it to say that they are still only a handful of the hundreds of thousands of Toastmasters members worldwide. I don't know a lot of Toastmasters who want to become professional speakers. Of the 3,000+ members in District 38 I can only name a few who either are professional speakers - such as Shawn Doyle - or who aspire to be professional speakers - such as yourself. All of you (including the aforementioned World Champions of Public Speaking) have competed and won; and all of you have also competed and lost. But the Toastmasters experience encouraged all of you in a supportive and nurturing environment so that you were ready to take on the challenge.

    You know as well as I do that you have to "kick it up a notch" as you win your way through the levels of competitive speaking. The speech you prepare to win at Regional and International level, of necessity, must be stronger and better than the one you presented in the lower levels of competition. Once you reach the "big stage" the end result is still the same - some speakers are better than others; some content is meatier than not; but the "supportive and positive learning environment" remains unchanged. And that applies whether you want to speak professionally or if you are just doing it for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lauren,

    The mission of each group help me to understant better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do appreciate your comments. I have recently joined a Toastmasters club to develop my speaking skills. However, my goal is become a professional speaker. Once I obtain my goal, I will continue to be a member of Toastmasters for its supportive environment but I will also join the National Speakers Association and a local Speakers Bureau for its professional development.

    I believe Toastmasters serves as the first step in speech development and the NSA represents the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog's posts are very awesome, i enjoyed the posts of your Blog while reading,Thanks for sharing such a wonderful blog..

    Keynote speakers

    ReplyDelete