Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Happy Follow Up to "Small World"

Thanks to all my readers who reached out upon news of our family in L’Aquila after the earthquake. I am happy to say that I was able to speak with my cousin in Italy by phone. Between my limited Italian and her better English, we were able to communicate. She and her husband and children are all well, and they are temporarily settled in Rome. Their home suffered minimal damage, and the remainder of my family – my cousin’s mother, her sister, and her sister’s husband and children – were so far from the epicenter that they were unaffected by the quake. But even with her limited English, she was able to use the word “catastrophe.” The catch in her voice told me all I needed to know about the scope of this tragedy.

Again, Cousin Laura was gratified and emotional to know that so many people in America were concerned about her. She once said to me after we first met that it was wonderful to know that there are people on the other side of the world who care about you. I also extend my own gratitude to those who were concerned about my family and others who were affected by this natural disaster. As we approach the Easter season this weekend, I thank God today for all of His blessings, and I wish the same for all the others who are directly or indirectly affected by this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment