Saturday, April 25, 2009

RIP for MHO

Can we put to rest the texting phrase MHO -- My Humble Opinion? And let's not forget its Danny DeVito-to-Arnold Schwarzenegger twin, IN My Humble Opinion.
MHO is one of the most fatuous and annoying statements one can make.
It is not really so humble, as you claim. In fact, it is quite arrogant, because "Who asked you?"
It is usually not solicited. The phrase is designed to ameliorate that fact. ("Oh, I'll just state that it's only my humble opinion. That way, no one will notice that no one asked for it.")
And who cares that it's "your" humble opinion? Does the fact that it came from you have any added validity?
If you're going to give an opinion, just give it.
Please don't patronize me with a little tag line, as though you have just given me the option to ignore. Stand up for it. Don't worry, I'll ignore it if I wish. But please state your authority for your opinion.
That's MY opinion. And believe me, it's not so humble.

1 comment:

  1. It's my understanding, however, that IMHO can also stand for "In my honest opinion." Sure, you could argue that it's technically redundant. But, personally, I respect people who acknowledge their own opinions as, well, opinions, and not statements of fact. So I think "IMHO" can legitimately be used as a modest way of prefacing a statement, which says "listen, I understand someone could disagree, but this is how I see things." In fact, I would argue that there's TOO much pontificating these days as if there's only one right answer to certain issues, rather than room for disagreement. But I've always put a higher value on "modesty" than "confidence."

    ReplyDelete