Saturday, July 23, 2011

Giving our best, in the words of Joe DiMaggio


All I ever learned about maintaining a reputation for being the best came from the mouth of Yankee great Joe DiMaggio. When asked why he always hustled so hard, he responded, "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first or last time. I owe him my best."
Now compare this attitude to those of business owners, who risk their own reputations, as well as those of their companies and employees, to unethical practices. Or entertainers who don't perform at their best and create an everlasting impression -- fairly or not -- on the ticket-buyer who showed up for that day's performance. Our brands, our names and our reputations are sometimes all we have. Do you tend your image every day as you should? Will the people who encounter you today remember a superlative effort or a lackluster try?
I know this may seem harsh, and believe me, I have both benefited and
suffered from this, but it is a reality to which we must all attend.

1 comment:

  1. This story resonates with me. As an entrepreneur trying to build my own business, there is nothing more important than my credibility. That is what JoeD is talking about. I am not a guy has won a lot of stuff: not a lot of trophies, not a lot of awards. However, in a Dale Carnegie Public Speaking class, on a 2 minute speech judged by my peers - I won. The topic was CREDIBILITY. On this subject, I do know something. What I know is that it takes a hell of a long time to build something - in this case my business and my reputation in my field - and that credibility is the most fragile and valuable thing you can have. Every act you take affects it, and it can be torn down in an instant. Thanks for sharing this post. The metallic ball point pen I won that day is one of the most prized possessions I have.

    ReplyDelete